What’s your top food craving – something salty? Sweet? Or something completely different?
I don’t know anyone who DOESN’T get cravings from time to time.
But I have another question for you. Do you view food cravings as the enemy, something you should do battle with?
Or maybe they feel more like a sign of weakness.
So many people feel that way about cravings – but cravings are actually totally normal.
One of the reasons I’ve been talking about intuitive eating this month is that it can empower you so you are no longer controlled by your cravings.
Because the fact is, you actually have a choice in the matter!
Let’s say you are going about your business on a normal day … and all of a sudden you start craving pizza.
With a diet “all or nothing” mindset, you’re left to white-knuckle your way through the craving if you think you shouldn’t have pizza.
You might wonder WHY that craving has come to tempt you from being “good” – because pizza is “bad.”
And thinking that it’s bad or off-limits can actually drive your craving to intensify!
With an intuitive eating mindset, you can give up that tug-of-war feeling.
First, you take a few minutes to pay attention to your body’s cues and figure out if your craving is just a passing mood, a sign you’re truly hungry, or even whether you are going to have a slice for dinner and then move on with your life.
Some questions to ask yourself:
- Are you physically hungry?
- Is this a habit – do you normally have cravings this time of day?
- Am I being driven by emotion? Do you feel angry, stressed, lonely, bored, or sad?
- Sometimes the more we resist a thought, the more power it has over us. Imagine eating the thing you’re craving (instead of trying to run from the feeling). Imagine eating it – how does that feel? Imagine the taste and texture. Imagine swallowing it. Imagine how you feel an hour after eating it.
- Now shift your attention and distract yourself for 20 minutes. Set a timer on your phone if you have to. Call a friend, go for a walk, listen to some music – change your state.
So many times, if we simply shift our attention, our craving will completely DISAPPEAR!
Whatever decision you do end up making, it will be one that was thoughtfully made. And that’s what it’s all about.
When YOU make the decision, you are no longer controlled by your cravings. You are now in control.
“Training your mind to be present in the moment is the #1 key to making healthier choices.” – Susan Alber
Need a daily dose of health & fitness motivation and inspiration? Join my private Facebook community, and surround yourself with positive people.
Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/HFandU/
Do you find these tips helpful? Let me know in the comments below!